Monday, March 13, 2006

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Again a flashback from my formative years. We would always inscribe each test paper, each page of homework, each essay with the initials at the top of each page, A.M.D.G.--for the greater glory of God.

I am brimming with ideas and I can't wait to talk about the myriad problems that my country has. The Philippines has become a country of young people and at 43 I am certifiably middle-aged. I will not be returning as a dilletante but rather as the distilled product of 12 years at the Jesuit Ateneo de Manila, 9 years at the University of the Philippines for Zoology and Medicine and blended by 17 years of internship, residency and fellowship training as well as private practice in the United States.

Tony Orlando sang "I'm coming home, I've done my time". I hope that I will not regret in my old age that I did not give my dream my best shot. I admire those patients who are at peace with themselves at the end of a life they think they lived to the very best of their capabilities.

No comments: