Monday, August 7, 2006

Roadblock

With all the talk about brain drain and the mass migration of Filipino doctors I wonder why I am being given the run-around in my quest to renew my license to practice medicine in the Philippines. Now I am being asked to prove that I am not a dual citizen. I don't mean to sound arrogant here considering my most previous post was about that subject but this is one moment when I'm asking for a small break. I did pass the physician licensure exam 17 years ago and all I did was train abroad so why place an extra obstacle now that I am ready to practice medicine in my own country? Who is making these unreasonable rules?

This is one important difference with the US system. Licensure is purely based on merit and capacity. It has nothing to do with citizenship which in this global world is a concept that is fast becoming obsolete. Nations must strive to attract the most competent and citizenship has absolutely nothing to do with this.

No comments: